Takt time is rate and pace of production of something to meet the customers’ requirement.
It denotes the RATE and PACE of production
TAKT time= Planned production time/ Customers’ Demand
It gives an idea about what should be the production rate so that customer’s demand are adequately met.
To understand takt time in depth let’s see a scenario where
- Production requirement per month=120000 units
- Actual working day/month=22
- Daily production requirement=5454.54 units (120000/22)
- Daily Production time= 8 hours- (2×30 minutes break)= 7 hours
- Number of shifts=2
Calculating takt time
First of all we should calculate the total daily production time=7×2=14 hours
Takt time= Daily production time/daily production requirement
=(840 min/day)/(5454.54 units/day)
This means in order to meet the customers’ demand we draw out a box of item every 9.24 seconds out of the end/packing line.
There are various benefits of takt time. Some of them are:
- Keeping track of production rates
- Checking over production
- Managing overtime
- Making it easier for planning
- Generating fewer errors
- Improving price management
Get your fee copy of takt time calculator by clicking here.
If you need any other assistance in dealing with takt time contact with us in the comments section.
Subscribe us for more related contents, lean six sigma and business improvement templates, free certification e-courses, ebooks and monthly newsletters here